mission

I will be running to the summit of Mt. Royal 365 times this year, hoping to raise food donations for the Family and Intercultural Resource Center in Dillon, Colorado. I also would like to inspire others to join me on the trail and to help those less fortunate throughout the year.

On top of my year long mission I will be running and representing the Leadville Running Company as a member of their 2013 Ultra Running Team.

Summit Daily News Article regarding the project.

Be sure to follow on Facebook


Friday, March 8, 2013

Feetures!

I am very honored to be invited to the Feetures! Ambassador Program. As a proud ambassador, I received my first box of socks this past week. I have been waiting to write a review and talk socks after I got to try a few styles I never used before.

I live in the high country of Colorado. My house is at 9000 feet above sea level, and live just off the I-70 corridor sandwiched between some pretty impressive mountain ranges. That being said, our winters are pretty gnarley. Ill define gnarley as cold, wet, windy, and treacherous. I try to stay running all winter, and this year I have taken on a new challenge, running to the top of Mt. Royal 365 times in a year. I basically have to stay running in the mountains even through those gnarley conditions. Feet and legs being essential to running, its important to keep them comfortable, warm, and strong.

Id like to talk about two specific items from Feetures! that I adore. Yes, I will use the word adore as socks are extremely vital to my trade.

First, the Ultra Light Elite Merino +. I like the quarter length personally. Hands down the best every day sock for any type of running. I sloshed through snow in them at various paces, up, down, and around mountains and my feet were comfortable and warm. The wool keeps your foot warm even when wet, and microfibers due a great job wicking moisture - this was critical as I have moved training indoors around a track a few days a week to work on speed work. The minimal construction stays with my less is more mentality, and the Power Arch system provides support. Wet feet were warm feet, and I was blister free. Inside they breathe and keep my foot dry. My longest effort in the socks was a 4 hour day with 4500 feet of vertical.

My next review....COMPRESSION! I first wore compression socks when I ran a 50+ mile race and was trying to run a marathon the next day. Fell in love, and compression socks were with me into my first 100 mile finish. We spent 21 hours together that lovely March day of last year. This year I hope to break out in the ultra world and start improving to top 10 finishes. After a DNF at Bandera 100k (I blame it on not wearing Feetures! compression, just kidding), I am back to the compression socks.  Same as the Elite Merino, microfibers and Power Arch do the side work while the graduated compression fights fatigue and promotes faster recovery. This is essential for me running up a mountain every day and standing on my feet at work for 8 hours a day. Feetures! Elite compression socks are with me almost every day, and I feel my legs are fresher, stronger, and I am performing better. Definitely will be rocking them tomorrow (Salida Trail Marathon) and all my races leading up to a 24 hour attempt and the Leadville Trail 100.

I am not an expert on anything, but I know a little bit about running. I have tried lots of socks and I like Feetures! They last, perform, and with those new colors, look super cool.

The website for those awesome Feetures!

It's winter and I really cant get pics of me showing off my sweet socks, but they're under there, and on top of Mt. Elbert, the highest peak in Colorado. 14,440 feet above sea level.

No comments:

Post a Comment